To run OpenCart on a VPS, follow these steps:
- Choose a VPS provider: Select a reputable VPS provider that offers sufficient resources to run OpenCart. Some popular providers include DigitalOcean, Vultr, Linode, and AWS Lightsail.
- Set up a VPS: Sign up for a VPS plan and configure your server. This usually involves choosing your server location, selecting an operating system (such as Ubuntu or CentOS), and specifying server resources (CPU, RAM, and storage).
- Access your VPS: Once your server is set up, you will receive login credentials, usually via SSH (Secure Shell). Use an SSH client (e.g., PuTTY for Windows or the Terminal app for macOS and Linux) to connect to your VPS.
- Install LAMP stack: Before running OpenCart, you need to install the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) on your VPS. For example, on Ubuntu, you can run the following commands:
Update your server:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install apache2
sudo apt-get install mysql-server
sudo apt-get install php libapache2-mod-php php-mysql
sudo service apache2 restart
- Configure your domain: If you have a domain, configure it to point to your VPS IP address. This involves updating your domain's DNS settings to set up an A record with your VPS IP.
- Download and extract OpenCart: Download the latest version of OpenCart from the official website (https://www.opencart.com/index.php?route=cms/download) and transfer the ZIP file to your VPS using SSH or FTP. Extract the contents of the ZIP file into your web server's document root directory, typically located at /var/www/html/.
- Create a MySQL database: Access your VPS MySQL server and create a new database for OpenCart. You can do this using the following commands:
mysql -u root -p
Create a new database (replace yourdatabase with your preferred name):
CREATE DATABASE yourdatabase;
Create a new user (replace yourusername and yourpassword with your desired credentials):
CREATE USER 'yourusername'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'yourpassword';
Grant privileges to the user:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON yourdatabase.* TO 'yourusername'@'localhost';
- Configure OpenCart: Open a web browser and access your domain. The OpenCart installation wizard will guide you through the configuration process. You will need to provide the database details you set up in the previous step.
- Complete the installation: Once you have provided the necessary information in the installation wizard, OpenCart will finish the installation process. You will then be able to log in to the OpenCart admin panel and start customizing your store.
Ensure that you regularly update your server, OpenCart, and any plugins/themes to maintain security and stability. Additionally, consider setting up backups and security measures to protect your OpenCart installation.