To publish a MODX website on GoDaddy, you can follow these steps:
- Sign in to your GoDaddy account and navigate to the "Manage My Hosting" section.
- Locate the domain name associated with your MODX website and select the "Manage" option.
- In the hosting dashboard, find the "File Manager" or "FTP File Manager" option and click on it.
- Create a new folder for your MODX website files, such as "modx" or "public_html". This will serve as the root directory for your website.
- Access the newly created folder, click on the "Upload" button, and then select the MODX installation package from your computer. This package can be obtained from the official MODX website (https://modx.com) by downloading the latest stable version.
- Once the upload is complete, go back to the main File Manager directory, select the folder you created, and choose the "Extract" option to unpack the MODX installation files.
- After extraction, navigate into the extracted folder and locate the "install" directory. Inside this directory, you will find a file named "index.php".
- Right-click on the "index.php" file and choose the "Rename" option. Change the name to "index2.php" or something similar to temporarily disable the installation script.
- Now, you need to create a new MySQL database for your MODX website. Go back to the hosting dashboard and look for the "Databases" section. Create a new database and take note of the database name, username, and password.
- Return to the File Manager and find the "config" directory within your MODX installation files. Inside this directory, locate a file named "config.inc.php" and right-click to choose the "Edit" option.
- Look for the lines of code that define the database connection settings. Update the values of the 'database_server', 'database_user', 'database_password', and 'dbase' variables with the details of your newly created database. Save the changes.
- In a new tab or window, enter your website's URL in the browser's address bar. You should see the MODX installation wizard.
- Follow the installation instructions provided by MODX to set up your website.
- Once the installation is complete, you can remove the temporary "index2.php" file mentioned earlier. Simply rename it back to "index.php".
- Your MODX website is now published on GoDaddy. You can access the front-end of your website by visiting the domain name associated with it.
Note: It's recommended to refer to GoDaddy's documentation or contact their support team if you encounter any issues specific to their hosting platform.