To install WordPress using FTP, follow these steps:
- Download WordPress: Go to the official WordPress website (wordpress.org) and click on the "Download WordPress" button. Save the ZIP file to your local computer.
- Extract ZIP file: Extract the contents of the ZIP file to a folder on your computer.
- Set up FTP client: Download and install an FTP client software like FileZilla or Cyberduck. Launch the FTP client and open it.
- Connect to your server: Enter your FTP login credentials (FTP host, username, and password) provided by your web hosting service. Once connected, you will see the files on your website server in the FTP client's interface.
- Create a database: Log in to your website's cPanel or use any other tool provided by your web hosting service to create a new database for WordPress.
- Edit the wp-config.php file: In the extracted WordPress folder on your computer, you will find a file named "wp-config-sample.php". Rename this file to "wp-config.php". Open it in a text editor and enter your database information (database name, username, and password) that you just created.
- Upload WordPress files: In the FTP client, navigate to the folder on your server where you want to install WordPress. This could be the root folder (public_html) or any subfolder. Select all the files and folders from the extracted WordPress folder on your computer and upload them to the corresponding folder on the server.
- Start the installation: Open your web browser and enter your website's URL. You should see a WordPress setup page. Select the language you want to use and click on the "Continue" button.
- Set up WordPress: Enter your website title, username, password, and admin email address. Click on the "Install WordPress" button.
- Complete the installation: After a successful installation, you'll see a confirmation page with your login credentials. You can now access your WordPress admin dashboard by appending "/wp-admin" to your website's URL (e.g., www.example.com/wp-admin) and log in with your username and password.
You have now successfully installed WordPress using FTP!